Monday 5 April 2010

More offers, more followers!

First of all, welcome to my latest follower, McMurdo!  Glad to have you on board along with the other two, one in the UK, the other in Oz!!

Above is an image of the route I'm taking up Kili.  Like all the other images, it expands if you click on it!  There are half a dozen routes up, but this is by far the longest.  This is a good thing as it'll give me more time to acclimatise.

Well, overnight another offer of help came in.  An old friend, Rob, who has trekked in Peru and elsewhere around the globe, has offered to lend me whatever bits of kit he has that'll be of use.  One thing that'll save me a small fortune is his 4 season sleeping bag.  His is top of the range and beyond.  The nights get colder as you ascend so this is a real boost!

We had Rob over for supper yesterday evening and spent ages chatting on about Kili and how it compares to, or differs from, some of the climbs he's done.  Like the chap in the hiking shop a couple of days ago, he had a wealth of useful information, pretty much concurring with what the shop assistant said, which is reassuring.

You may have noticed I haven't really mentioned much about training so far...well, that's 'cos I ain't done any, apart from walking our toy poodle, Summer, up the field at the end of our street.  I will get going properly once I've sorted the publicity for the gym but, in the meantime, I'm just going to go for longer and harder walks.  Both Rob from last night and my mate, Tim, in Kendal in the Lake District have suggested I go out with them when I can find the time to go for a day or a weekend's hike.  That'll be good and I'll have the chance to do both summer and winter hikes into the mountains, such as they are on this island we call home.

Off to clean house as we're expecting one of our daughters home with her new boyfriend for a few days.  Oh, and finally, I understand there are problems with using World Pay on the donation website.  I've e-mailed my contact at the charity.  I'll give her a ring from work tomorrow to see what the score is. 

Thanks for reading!  Please feel free to make comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment