Saturday 3 April 2010

Destiny!

You know those days when you get a confirmation that you're on the right track?  Well, today was one of those days for me.  I was in Europe's largest indoor shopping centre, the Metro Centre in Gateshead, when I chanced to go into one of the hiking shops, namely Blacks, and what a good choice that turned out to be!

I was met by one of the salesmen, Jason, who happened to be the deputy manager.  Not only is he ex-army and knew more about every piece of kit than anybody I've ever encountered but, wait for it, he's been up Kili not once but TWICE!  Well, you could've knocked me over with a feather!  I spent ages in the shop chatting on about all sorts of stuff, from insect repellent to fleeces etc, but, just as important to me, he told me loads about the mountain itself from firsthand experience.  It was really good to hear of some of the delights, as well as the perils.  As for kit, he did a great job talking me through the ranges telling me where my money could go, depending on my budget, of course.  The best thing came at the end, though. 

I'd gone out of the shop to grab a cuppa and returned to buy a real bargain, a set of thermal undies (both top and bottom) made of 100% pure New Zealand Merino wool from a firm called Icebreaker.  They're pretty expensive, though this is one of the things you don't want to skimp on as it can get to well below -20 degrees C on top of the mountain, especially when wind chill is taken into account.  With other things, Jason had shown me where I needn't break the bank. 

Having paid up at the till, I was just thanking him when the manager, Dean, came over and handed me a rarity, a card for getting 15% off all purchases!  Knowing that the company would not normally consider an individual for such a discount, and they'd only give stuff away for free to either celebrities or major corporate buyers, it showed they knew I was being serious in my quest. Okay, so they're going to get a good few quid out of me before I leave, but they didn't have to do it, especially as they didn't ask for publicity though, before I go, I think I'll try and get them some in the local media anyway!

So, all in all, a good day's work.  If you haven't made a donation yet, please go to my Diabetes Challenge website if you are able to support me.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce
    Sounds like a wonderful trip to the shop. I just saw your link somewhere else and now I'm following the blog. Best of Luck, I'll check in often and donate as soon as I can.

    Glen

    ReplyDelete