Saturday 27 March 2010

At the gym and the hiking shop

Well, just got back from Morpeth with my copy of the Stedman book on Kili. That's my weekend reading sorted!

While there, dropped in on Northumbrian Hiking shop next to the Chantry. They were luke warm at offering me any kit for publicity, mostly cos the owner was away today. One angle they were taking is that it might be hard for them to support me during the economic downturn. I came straight back and said that maybe the best time for some positive publicity was right now, then?! I'll pop back next weekend. I'll investigate Snow and Trek in the meantime. Mind, if anybody has any kit that they could lend to me, please get in touch. I'm going to transfer my kit list onto a file that I could then e-mail out to folksd if needed. I draw the line at borrowing used undies, though! ;o)

I also went into Roadrunner Sports who, ostensibly, do sports kit as opposed to hillwalking, climbing stuff. The woman there was much more keen on a chat and happily talked about all the clothes they have to wick away moisture etc. I'll need to work on her too, but quite a contrast to the bloke on the opposite side of the road.

As for the gym, well, likely good news methinks. Again, the boss man wasn't in, but he works every evening so I'll catch him through the week. Oh, btw, I'm talking about Oasis in Ashington, keeping it local again, eh? When I brought up my notion of a free pass until I fly to Nairobi, the guy at the front desk was VERY encouraging. Apparently the owner has sponsored people over the years and is open for discussions, especially if, as with me, I'm not asking for any dosh, just to be able to train there in return for press coverage. There were two charity boxes/badge thingys at the reception desk, which I feel is a good omen.

I got a quick tour of the facilities and, thankfully, they seem to have all the right gear including step and cross trainers. The gym fella correctly stated I need to do lots of cardio work, which all the bumph from Diabetes UK and Charity Challenge highlight.

So, not a bad morning's work. I'll follow up all these leads through the week and I'll be checking out the press and other media too. Must get on with cooking my darling wife's lunch...

Cheers

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment